One thing I’ve been noticing recently is that many clients are experiencing an opening of their throat chakra while on my table. In today’s world of social media, everything we say and do is highly scrutinized. This can leave us feeling vulnerable to criticism from our bosses, loved ones and even complete strangers on the internet.Have you ever started to post something on Facebook, thought twice about it, and deleted your post? Was it an opinion that may have been controversial? Did you fear you were sticking your neck out if you posted it? Did you worry about how others would perceive and judge you? Have you ever started to say something in a meeting or family gathering, but censored yourself for fear of being wrong or sounding stupid?
Part of this issue is our need for approval from others. We all know people on Facebook who only post the best parts of their lives, maintaining an “all is great!” mythology that no one can live up to.
When you don’t speak your truth – for whatever reason – this will cause an energy blockage in your throat chakra. A blocked throat chakra means that energy can’t flow upwards or downwards. Energy flows down from the Divine to our crown chakra, 3rd eye chakra, and throat chakra. Energy flows up from Mother Earth through our root chakra, sacral chakra, and solar plexus chakra. The two energies meet in the heart. A blocked throat chakra makes it difficult to access your creativity (sacral chakra), confidence (solar plexus chakra), and intuition (3rd eye chakra).
Have you ever bottled up your feelings until you exploded with anger at something pretty minor? If we speak our truth on a regular basis, this doesn’t happen. By “speaking your truth” I don’t mean loudly declaring your opinion on issues large and small, or brashly telling someone you don’t like their haircut. Speaking your truth is standing up for yourself in spite of the possible repercussions. It’s saying, “That doesn’t work for me” or “I would prefer this”.
If this is resonating with you and you think your throat chakra might be blocked, there are several things you can do:
1) Practice speaking up for yourself in small ways. “I would prefer to go to this movie rather than that one” and “I’m not in the mood for Mexican food tonight” are two simple examples. Even if you compromise with someone on this type of thing, the fact that you stated your preference will feel great!
2) Get some energy work done! Tell the practitioner you think you have a blocked throat chakra (although they will probably sense it even if you don’t tell them).
3) If you start to get a sore throat, ask yourself if there’s something in your life you’re not speaking up about – then speak up about it!
4) Say, “let me think about it” if someone asks you for something that you don’t feel comfortable saying yes to at that moment.
5) Practice saying, “Sorry, that doesn’t work for me” rather than offering lengthy excuses why you can’t do something.
6) Use essential oils – Geranium, Fennel and Rosemary are all great options for opening the throat chakra.
There are great things that happen when you start speaking your truth:
1) It becomes easier to do.
2) You will begin to speak your truth without defensiveness or offering excuses or apologies for doing so.
3) You give others permission to speak their truth.
You may make people feel uncomfortable at first. People who are used to controlling you may feel put out. That’s okay – you are not responsible for their reaction. Stand your ground.
Imagine the world we would live in if everyone spoke their truth. We would have a more compassionate and peaceful planet.
It begins with you.